ESMS is currently seeking a Small Business Liaison to help sustain and grow our commercial district.
Small Business Liaison Job Description:
East Somerville Main Streets (ESMS), an established non-profit that works collaboratively with local businesses, the community, and the city to actively support a vibrant neighborhood by preserving the character and advancing the economic strength of East Somerville, seeks a part-time Small Business Liaison to join our growing and active organization.
Working in close collaboration with the Executive Director (ED), the Small Business Liaison will help to sustain and grow the East Somerville business district. This is an exciting time to work in the vibrant, diverse and collaborative community of East Somerville. It is a rewarding role that offers the chance to gain skills and experience in economic development, non-profit management, and urban planning.
A successful candidate will be extremely organized and able to manage multiple business projects at one time. The Small Business Liaison will provide direct one-to-one business assistance, work with staff and board on new initiatives, and cultivate potential landlord/tenant relationships. We are looking for someone who will be proactive with business outreach and a strong advocate for the East Broadway business district.
Small Business Liaison Duties and Responsibilities:
● Build and maintain strong relationships with local businesses
● Provide technical assistance to East Somerville businesses, including:
New marketing strategies: logo design, website improvement and development, and social media content
Storefront improvement plans
License and permit applications
Financial Health, addressing financial concerns through COVID recovery
● Help with the creation and implementation of monthly meetings for business owners
● Support businesses with grant application process
● Assist local property owners in finding business tenants that meet the needs of the neighborhood
● Facilitate COVID recovery relief efforts across all business sectors, including ARPA funding research
● Survey and data collection
Small Business Liaison Requirements and Qualifications:
● Prior experience with providing small business technical assistance
● Knowledge of small business marketing strategies, including online presence management
● Passion for community-based work
● Strong preference for Spanish and/or Portuguese fluency
● Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Publisher, and Google Drive
● High school degree, some college preferred
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Excellent organizational skills
● Detail-oriented and responsible
● Strong written and verbal communication
Pay rate: Part-time $17/hour
Hours per week: 20-25
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
ESMS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Community participation is vital to accomplishing East Somerville Main Streets goals. If you want to find a way to help out and get involved here are some ways to do so:
Volunteer at one of our events!
ESMS often needs help with our public events. Events that needs volunteers include:
Neighborhood Clean-ups (April and November)
Foodie Crawl (September)
To volunteers at an upcoming event, email ESMS at Director@EastSomervilleMainStreets.org
Looking to become more connected and invloved in East Somerville? Try volunteer on one of our Committees!
*Meets quarterly at 6:00 PM prior to our Board Game Nights on Monday or Tuesday evenings
Changing people’s attitudes toward the commercial district and marketing the district to residents, investors, visitors and others. (e.g. event planning, marketing) Building collaborative partnerships between a broad range of groups, organizations and constituents.
*Meets Monthly on (usually) Last Wednesday of the month at 6:30 PM
The Fundraising Committee is primarily responsible for maintaining and increasing the financial capacity of East Somerville Main Streets to achieve its programmatic goals. Reviews grant opportunities, plans fundraising events and brainstorms ideas for fundraisers.
Design Review Committee:
*Meets Quarterly at 8 :15 AM on weekdays
Advocating that design of new developments occur that are consistent with the character of our neighborhood and the Vision created for the East Broadway Business District as the heart of our community. Reviews development designs and gives feedback for improvements and advocates for support when necessary to see positive change come to the community.
If you are interested in joining a committee email ESMS at Director@EastSomervilleMainStreets.org